Sunday, April 26, 2009

To be or not to be, Gay!


The US nowadays is raging with a battle for recognition. It is not about the recognition of gays as a community or a lifestyle, that has been done a while back. It is rather about the recognition of the right for same-sex marriages.

In the US, same-sex or gay-marriages are only recognized in two states, namely, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Gay-marriages will become legal in Iowa tomorrow on April 27 2009. Elsewhere in the world same-sex marriages are legal in 7 countries (Belgium, Canada, Netherlands, Norway, South Africa, Spain, Sweden).

Recently an incident occurred in Miss USA pageant when the competing Miss California - and later declared first runner-up - was asked about her opinion regarding same-sex marriages. Her answer was honest, precise, dignified and honourable. She said, "We live in a land where you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite. And you know what, I think in my country, in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised." http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517599,00.html

The judge who asked the question is a gay gossip blogger, clearly supporting the right of Gays to legally tie the knot. She later described Miss California's answer as, "the worst answer in the history of Miss USA pageant!" Really?!

Many argue that Miss California's answer cost her the crown. She has been receiving tons of mail congratulating her and showing support towards her stance and honesty.

Now that the issue is described, here's what I think:

WHAT THE HELL?! Firstly let me openly say that I am not only against same-sex marriages, I am in fact against the whole concept of Gays. I know I'm not being politically correct and perhaps even may sound like homophobic, but you know what? I don't care, this is my blog and I get to write whatever I want in it.

Second, in the beginning Gays were asking for their right to openly be Gay, their right to come out of the closet and be generally accepted as an integral part of society. After heavy marketing campaigns for Gays on TV shows, magazines, papers, etc. People have learnt to accept them. In fact it has become something frowned upon if you look upon them in any way that may signal disliking or disgust.
Once that achieved, they are asking to be legally recognized as Gays by being able to wed one another, with all the civil rights associated with marriage. So far they've been successful in limited places, but of course what we're witnessing now is just a start.

Now, a beautiful, smart, and deserving beauty queen lost her right to the crown because of her opposition to a concept. The gay-marriage concept. The reason that happened is because the judge is a gay-rights supporting gay!

Based on what we just read, let's examine the potential and possibilities of the future in this regard. Gay judges, gay panels, gay committees, gay ministers, gay policy makers, gay presidents?! Don't get me wrong, I accept Gay's right to exist as much as I accept Israel's right to exist! But if every Gay person holding a position of power practices that power to "punish" those who do not believe in them, then we're in for quite a treat.

The key point here is that the have-nots who come into power always support their fellow have-nots against others. The Bolshevik Revolution started like that. Are we inching towards a Gay revolution?! Maybe...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmmm. I know where u are goign with this. Same goes to any minority who comes in to power.... Lets track history for a minute and we will see each and every one....

    Aftab |Sayed

    ReplyDelete

Networked Blogs